Monday, June 11, 2007

My weekend project - compost bin

Look what I did this weekend!
I built a 3-bin compost center out of that old lumber Mom and Dad brought by the other weekend. I'm pretty pleased with myself, too. Usually, my 'carpentry' projects don't turn out so well.


The central dividers are easily removed for turning the piles over into the next bin, the two front outer posts (and the backside) are supported by metal fence posts driven deep into the ground. A display shelf allows me a place to view interesting rocks and knick-knacks. I've even got Bin #1 loaded and composting already!


The space between the garden and the compost center is about three feet. It gives ample space for my little friend the fern to live, as well as buckets and a bin for poles.


The compost center is backed up against that large mound of kitchen scraps and garden waste, stumps and sticks, and dirt and ashes that I had been using to compost waste this past year. I intend to simply shovel stuff off the mound and into a bin, and hope to have the mound significantly reduced by summer's end.

It was a lot of hard work, but I am very happy with the results, and even more happy that I have a real compost center to work with! I can't wait to make my first batch of mulch and spread it lovingly over a bed.

No comments: