Friday, June 08, 2007

My veggie garden - and other things

Omigoodness, it's been a while since I posted here... shame.

I finally took some pics of my veggie garden... I think it's looking pretty good. See for yourself.

This is Bed #1. I have planted baby spinach and broccoli here. Nasturtiums are tucked in along the corners and sides. Tuesday, I transplanted a handful of dill seedlings from Bed #2 to the back row of this bed. I think most of them will do alright.


This is Bed #2. I have a wider variety of tasties planted here - shallots, miner's lettuce, sorel, arugala, red cabbage, green cabbage, redleaf lettuce, dill and dandelions, with nasturtiums again tucked into the corners.

This is the berry bed. These are red thornless raspberries. A blackcap vine which grew along the driveway has been transplanted to the the (upper-left) corner. I'm glad I did, as a number of those which I didn't transplant are now dead - I dunno why.

Two of my Canadian Explorer roses... technically, the canoe is not part of the garden as it sits outside of the fencing.

My third Canadian Explorer rose - this one is called

I built this little 'pond' for the water loving irises. I think it turned out pretty well.

I built it by laying out a lumber frame. I didn't nail it together or anything, I just laid boards down. I then laid down a double layer of thick black plastic. I place a few bricks around the rim to hold the plastic in place, then filled it with a bit of water and placed the plants inside.

Here is a close-up image of the pond:

I filled it further to check for leaks or overflow, and because it is built on not quite perfectly level ground, there was a bit of an overflow which resulted in the other end of the pond not getting more than an inch deep. I raised the lumber frame a couple of inches on the low end, and then did my best to hide the ugly lumber frame, hence the bricks and large hunk of wood.

This is another project I did with brick recently, to protect the pots of plants that Mike built a sunscreen for. While the plants were protected, their black pots were still overly exposed to the harsh and drying sun and wind.

I can't be certain, but I think things are happier for it.

Mom and Dad are retiring, and downsizing as they'll be moving soon. Among a host of tools and things, they've offered us their hot-tub! Here it is in place after two days of tugging, heaving, hauling, cursing, sweating, dragging, pushing, cursing, sliding, and shoving. Did I mention cursing? What a chore to move! Here it is all ready for wiring:


I don't know that the teal works for me aesthetically, but I'll put up with that much for a free hot tub!

No comments: