Saturday, April 28, 2007

More irises!

Ten varieties opened today. Bloomstalks are on the rise everywhere you look. Here's a few photos.


This purple I acquired at a cemetery in South Dakota. I was driving to IL and stopped for gas. Noticed a cemetery with what looked like irises growing everywhere behind the place, so I took a little wak and sure enough there were thousands of fans covering large areas of the old cemetery. Given the abundance I felt taking a start was hardly an issue, and hopefully this iris will be preserved.


It's very cute, and probably quite old. Only one branch and four buds on the bloomstalk. Perhaps it would do better in richer soil, but I doubt it. Wonderful satin sheen to the petals, and a bright violet tone not usually seen in these early germanica types.


This richly colored little iris is called Death By Chocolate.

More to come...

-M

No comments: